Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's official - We are a species apart

I guess singles have finally arrived as a separte species or at least culture of humanity. This morning I was channel surfing. (Our church is sharing facilities temporarily and we don't have Sunday Morning services which I miss terribly) Anyway, I came in on the middle of some sort of "special report." It was one of those "What's it like" type of reports where the reporter goes out to experience life as some type of person that is exotic or odd like a fighter pilot, a disabled person in a wheelchair, the opposite sex or something. In this case, she was going to a football game - hold onto your seats, this will shock and possibly disturb you - ALONE!!!!!!!

Of course, she wanders around in the parking lot looking pathetic until a family "adopts" here. And somehow in spite of this unnatural experiment in singleness she ends up enjoying the game. Of course, she will never do it again I'm sure.

I'm watching this and thinking, is this what the rest of the world thinks about us. That we can't enjoy life without some guy (or woman) in tow. If I only went to things with people, I would never go anywhere. And I am not to be pitied or "adopted" by "normal" people who are there with friends, family or a date. I am complete in myself. Yet, .... yet.... yet.... I have gone to the play and sat looking at the other tables (dinner theatre) with everyone else there with someone and feeling left out. Not because I couldn't enjoy the play without another person sitting there, but because I felt that somehow I was substandard, abnormal, or unworthy to be there.

I sometimes wonder if that motivates many singles as much as a natural desire for companionship. Perhaps we are also motivated by a culture that makes going to a sporting event alone something worthy of national television coverage.

2 comments:

cathikin said...

I know what you are talking about. I've gone places by myself most of my adult life. Even in the ten years I lived with my husband, I discovered that if I waited for him to do something with me, I'd spend most of my time staring at the four walls. There are some places I didn't go alone because I didn't want to be there alone for safety. But I have enjoyed movies, basketball games, concerts, and dinners out all on my own. Yet, as you said, I often feel like I'm less valuable or something. *Sigh*

bestbudz84 said...

Terry - how are things going? Last blog update 2008?? Hope all is well. I've been searching the internet to find people who are having similar experiences as mine...Thanks for ministering and encouraging..