Sunday, February 3, 2008

Limping through Finals

Well, I'm nearing the end of finals week. Yesterday I collected about 300 pages of papers to grade. I'm about a quarter of the way through and I have until Monday noon to get all the grades in. This is probably a good time for me to NOT be married. Currently, I have most of the living room floor covered with papers. I am still working at almost 2 a.m.. And, frankly, I'm more than a little cranky, especially after discovering that one of my students got my gradebook and entered grades for four students who have not turned in any work at all.

Anyway, I'm not real good company during finals week. I wonder how the married teachers do it. Teaching is not 9-5. While school is in session, I am always working on stuff at home. I had fantasies about evenings at home with my husband who was also a professor reading papers and listening to Mozart together, but I knew those were just fantasies. I'm sure they figure it out some way. For me it's just consumes me especially during finals. And, while I complain and get tired, I love the whole thing.

On the other hand, I've also been reminded of the liabilities of living alone this last couple of days. An old hip injury has flared up again. I am having some real trouble getting around. When things like that happen I often wonder, and maybe even worry a bit, what I would do in the event of some seriously disabling accident or disease.

Being alone can be a bit worrisome in that way. But then a few years ago, when I had a health scare for a few days, my niece stayed with me. I'm sure that could be arranged again. But I do wonder about old age and trying to maintain some independence. But whatever happens happens. And I will trust God that he will not abandon me for following Him.

Well, better get back to work, I still have a few hundred pages to go. Why did I ever assign these students these papers? Why? Why? Why?

No comments: