Sunday, February 3, 2008

Valentines Day is Coming

It's coming, the day that strikes terror in the heart of every unattached single. That's right! You survived it last year, but it has returned to tear at your heart, dump loneliness upon you, take pot shots at your self esteem, and make you feel like you are totally unloved and unwanted. That's right. Valentine's Day is just around the corner.

Someone mentioned something about it today, and before I knew it I felt the old angst. That depression of knowing that another holiday celebrating love will come and go without anyone in my life to love and be loved by. One more year of watching happy couples bring candy and flowers and baloon bouquets to each other. Another year of other people getting heart shaped cards saying "Be my Valentine."

But is it true after all that I am all alone in the world. Not really. I have a great church, family, friends and co-workers who care about me. I am loved by my mother, my sister (though she might tell you otherwise), a passel of neices and nephews, my friends, my pastors, and most importantly my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Now, that's not too shabby for a valentines day bunch of love.

No, I don't have a boyfriend or husband. But that doesn't mean I don't have love. Romance may not be a part of my life, but love is all around me (and I'm not even Mary Tyler Moore). So, as this Valentines Day approaches, I will celebrate my own loving relationships. And on the Saint's Day I may gather some of the folk together and go out. After all, I don't really need a man to go out on a date.

No comments: