Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Turkey and a Smile

This evening I was getting some meat out of my freezer and saw the big 23-pound turkey I bought for Christmas dinner. I smiled when I saw it, because of what it symbolized. I was an only child. And then being academically inclined and not very good looking I found myself pretty isolated at a teenager and young adult. So, I really didn't build very many friendships along the way. In fact, I suffered from pretty heavy shyness, which is ironic, but not uncommon, for a speech major. I'm okay in front of an audience with a prepared speech and some predictability, but one on one in a social setting I didn't really know what to do and always worried someone would find out I didn't.

About 12 years ago, though, I began to take some tentative steps in reaching out to people on a level other than ministry and work. Along the way, I met my sister Tracy. Somehow we just clicked as best friends. That is really weird, too. She is flamboyant, doesn't know a stranger, is married with 8 kids, very outgoing and as expressive as I am reserved.

Tracy's personal history, though, was tragic. She was seriously abused as a child by her mother, who continued to harrass her as an adult. One day, she was talking to my Mom, and my Mom said, "Well, we'll adopt you." And so I acquired a sister and 8 neices and nephews along with 7 grand neices and nephews. Right now, I don't think about her as anything other than my natural sister.

So, this Christmas, I'll have a crowd over to my house. Friends who are family or is it family who are friends. And suddenly I realized, as I looked at that frozen bird filling up my freezer somewhere along the way without realizing it, I became what I thought I would never be -- A Social Person.

No comments: